Fun Tire Facts
By Integra Tire Canada
Tires – it’s definitely not a word that sparks most people’s interest. People may think that tires are a boring industry but here at Integra Tire they are our passion.
We thought we’d share some unique tire facts that make tires sound more fun so you’ll realize that they aren’t so boring after all!
- Lego manufactures more tires than any other tire manufacturer. They produce approximately 318 million tires per year! They hold the Guinness World Record for largest tire manufacturer per annum.
- The rubber that tires are made with is naturally white. Carbon black is added to tire rubber to increase the durability and strength of the rubber. It also reduces hot spots on the tires.
- The World’s largest tire is in Allen Park, Michigan. The tire is 80 feet tall and weighs 12 tons. It was actually built to withstand hurricane-force winds! The tire was sponsored by Uniroyal and served as a Ferris wheel at the New York World’s Fair in 1964 and 1965.
- In the early 1960’s Goodyear decided to develop an illuminated tire. These tires were made with a transparent rubber with lights mounted on the inner rim. During the day they looked a little odd but at night they glowed in the dark! These tires ended up being only a prototype because the rubber was too expensive. It was too expensive to power the bulbs and the lights became invisible once the tires got dirty.
- Tire technicians have come across many strange things stuck in tires – screwdrivers, bullets, scissors, a deer antler, a car key, and a spoon.
- Michelin is working on developing an airless tire that will never go flat. This tire is actually a wheel and tire all in one. The material is made from organic and recyclable materials. These tires can also collect diagnostic information about the vehicle as you drive on them.
After reading all of these facts, do you think tires are a bit more interesting?
Questions? Our Advisors are Happy to Help!If you have questions about anything you've read in this resource page, contact your nearest Integra Tire dealer for more information. We are passionate in assisting our customers make the best choices to keep their vehicles in tip-top shape and keep their families safe.
About UsIntegra Tire is a network of independent tire, automotive, and maintenance dealers across Canada.