How to Drive Safely This Holiday Season
By Integra Tire Canada
The holiday season is in full swing and with that comes distractions, crowds, and stress, all the things that could lead to accidents on the road. We want to make sure that you get where you’re going safely this holiday season, so we’ve compiled some tips to follow:
- Check the weather report – before you leave on your holiday season road trip, make sure to check the weather report for all the destinations that you’ll be passing through. If there’s a blizzard approaching, potential freezing rain, or dense fog, consider choosing another day to travel when the roads will be safer.
- Pack a winter safety kit – it’s important to pack a winter safety kit with you whenever you are travelling in the winter. Here are some of the things that should always be stocked in your winter safety kit:
- Sand or kitty litter
- A small shovel
- Booster cables
- Windup flashlight
- First aid kit
- Ice scraper and snow brush
- Road flares or reflective warning triangles
- Tire pressure gauge
- Jack and lug wrench (if you have a spare tire)
- Foam tire sealant
- Get a vehicle inspection – have your vehicle inspected before you leave for your holiday road trip to ensure that all of your fluids are topped up, that your tires are in proper condition, that your battery has plenty of charge, that none of your lights are burnt out, and that all your other mechanical systems are working properly.
- Fill up your tank – in the winter it’s important to keep your gas tank at least half full because this prevents your gas lines from freezing and will give you plenty of gas in case you become stranded.
- Keep your tires properly inflated – your tires can lose 1 – 2 PSI with every 10°C drop in air temperature so it’s important to check them regularly. You can find the correct PSI for your vehicle on the inside door jamb sticker on your driver’s side door.
- Get plenty of rest – you should never drive when you are tired because this can decrease your reaction time and make you less aware. If you start to feel tired, find a safe place to rest and sleep until you feel well rested or have another driver take over while you nap.
- Have a designated driver – always plan to have a sober driver with you when you are consuming alcohol or cannabis. Taxis and ride share services can be busy during the holiday season so to ensure that you can get home safely, have someone stay sober during each party so everyone can get a safe ride home.
Integra Tire is always here to help you with all of your tire and mechanical needs this holiday season. Whether you need a new battery, a new tire, your fluids topped up, or anything in between, our service advisors and technicians are here to serve you.
Integra Tire and all their staff wish you and your families Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year.
Questions? Our Advisors are Happy to Help!If you have questions about anything you've read in this resource page, contact your nearest Integra Tire dealer for more information. We are passionate in assisting our customers make the best choices to keep their vehicles in tip-top shape and keep their families safe.
About UsIntegra Tire is a network of independent tire, automotive, and maintenance dealers across Canada.