How to Save Money on Gas during Your Summer Road Trip
By Integra Tire Canada
Everyone wants to hit the road in the summer, but travelling does come at a cost and that price can fluctuate depending on the price at the pump.
At Integra Tire Auto Centres, we want to make sure that your travels are safe and cost-effective. Check out some of our top tips for saving money on gas:
Before you hit the road, take some time to have some minor maintenance done to your vehicle:
- Getting a tune-up can help improve your fuel efficiency by up to 40%.
- Ensuring that you are using the correct oil can increase fuel efficiency by up to 2%.
- Ensuring that your tires are properly inflated can greatly increase your fuel efficiency.
The lighter your car, the less gas you will use:
- Pack only the essential items for your trip. Removing the clutter from your car will help lighten your load and greatly improve your gas mileage.
- Purchasing aluminum wheels instead of steel wheels will make your car much lighter, therefore, minimizing the amount of gas you will use.
How you drive can really affect your fuel economy:
- Learn to accelerate and decelerate more gradually. Slowly accelerating and coming to a gradual stop will help you use less gas.
- For highway driving, turn on your cruise control to help increase your fuel efficiency.
Consider the time of day you’re on the road and the route you’re taking:
- Try to drive when the roads will be less populated. This will help you maintain a constant speed and improve your fuel efficiency.
- Try to drive at a time when the wind will be pushing you in the direction you are going.
- Aim to drive on roads that are smooth flat surfaces.
- Try to drive early in the morning or later in the evening when you won’t need to use your A/C as much. Note: Don’t roll your windows down; this causes more wind resistance and decreases your fuel economy.
If you follow even just a few of these tips, you could decrease the cost of your trip by a huge amount and leave you more money to spend on snacks and fun activities!
Questions? Our Advisors are Happy to Help!If you have questions about anything you've read in this resource page, contact your nearest Integra Tire dealer for more information. We are passionate in assisting our customers make the best choices to keep their vehicles in tip-top shape and keep their families safe.
About UsIntegra Tire Canada is a network of independent tire, automotive, and maintenance dealers across Canada established in 2008. But what makes us different? Our commitment to #integraty - our endless pursuit of excellence, every day for every customer.