Vehicle Shocks and Struts in Kamloops, BC | Integra Tire
When driving down the road, do you ever feel like you're being pushed or pulled? Does the road feel abnormally bumpy? After driving over a bump or pothole, does your automobile bounce around a lot? Are you noticing an unusually rapid decrease in your vehicle’s tire tread life? If you replied "yes" to any of these questions, it's possible that it's time to get new shocks and struts for your car.
What Do Shocks and Struts Do?
It is the job of the vehicle's shocks and struts, which are a part of the suspension system, to reduce the impact of the springs that do the actual work of absorbing the shock from the road. When a vehicle's shock absorber and strut system gets old, it bounces more when travelling over bumps in the road. The handling of the vehicle is also affected when you have worn shocks and struts. You'll have more command of your vehicle in all situations thanks to the dampening effects of the car's shocks and struts as you turn, brake, accelerate, and drive over bumps in the road.
Most modern vehicles have either shocks, struts, or both installed. The strut integrates the shock with other elements into a single structural unit, while a shock is a separate component. Each contributes to safer driving by keeping the tires in contact with the ground. Your car would bounce all over the road if you didn't have shocks and struts.
Most shocks and struts will last 75,000 to 90,000 miles but if you often drive on rough and unpaved roads, they may only last 40,000 to 50,000 miles. We recommend having your shocks and struts inspected once every year at Integra Tire in Kamloops, BC to ensure yours are working properly.
Possible Signs of Shock or Strut Wear
There are a number of warning signals that point to the need to repair shocks and struts, such as:
- Your car is bottoming out.
- Your car is plunging forward when you try to stop.
· You get the sensation of swaying and rolling as the car takes curves.
- Your tire tread is wearing quickly and unevenly.
- Your ride feels very bumpy.
· Your vehicle never feels completely stable when driving at highway speeds.
· Your car leans or "tips" to the outside of the turn and feels shaky when you take a fast turn or an off-ramp.
· You see leaking fluid on the exterior of your shocks or struts. This is a sign that the seals have broken and the internal fluids essential to proper function are escaping.
If you notice any of these signs that your shocks and struts are wearing out or need replacement, bring your vehicle to Integra Tire in Kamloops, BC, and our automotive experts will be happy to assist you. We want to ensure that you and your passengers always have a comfortable and safe ride.
Give us a call today to book an appointment or ask us any questions you have about your vehicle’s shocks and struts.