Preparing Yourself for Winter Driving
By Integra Tire Canada
It’s November 1 and in most parts of the country, winter is here. We all know that snow can hit us unexpectedly and we may not all be prepared for driving on winter roads.
Here are some tips to keep you safe on the roads this winter:
Have the Right Equipment
- Ensure that your winter tires are in good condition and are properly inflated. You can find the recommended PSI for your tires on the side sticker of your vehicle’s door.
- Have a winter safety kit in your vehicle that includes a flashlight, extra batteries, an extra cell phone charger, booster cables, salt or sand, a shovel, extra warm clothes, a snowbrush, and a windshield scraper.
Get Your Vehicle Winterized
- Ensure that you’ve got winter windshield washer fluid.
- Have your oil checked to ensure it’s clean and the reservoir is full.
- Get your brakes tested.
- Make sure that your car’s battery is strong.
- Check your windshield wipers to ensure they are working properly.
Adjust Your Driving
- Check the weather and road reports before you leave the house.
- Slow down and drive according to the conditions.
- Accelerate gently.
- Increase your stopping distance.
- Increase the distance between you and the vehicle in front of you to 10 seconds.
- Avoid cruise control.
- Stay five car lengths back from any snow plow.
- Turn on your lights.
- Fill up with gas when your tank is below half full.
By following these tips, you and your family should stay safe all through the long Canadian winter.
Remember that you can bring your vehicle into your local Integra Tire whenever you need help with your vehicle maintenance or your winter tires. We’ve got automotive experts that will help you get your vehicle winterized and tire experts that will find the right winter tires for your vehicle.
Questions? Our Advisors are Happy to Help!If you have questions about anything you've read in this resource page, contact your nearest Integra Tire dealer for more information. We are passionate in assisting our customers make the best choices to keep their vehicles in tip-top shape and keep their families safe.
About UsIntegra Tire Canada is a network of independent tire, automotive, and maintenance dealers across Canada established in 2008. But what makes us different? Our commitment to #integraty - our endless pursuit of excellence, every day for every customer.